Crosscut Saw and Ax Training Class
July 12 @ 5:00 pm - July 13 @ 4:00 pm
Crosscut Saw and Axe Training Class
July 12, 5-7 pm
July 13th, 8 am – 4pm
We’re excited to announce we’re organizing this training for volunteers interested in learning to use and maintain crosscut saws safely and efficiently. All participants’ skills will be evaluated. Successful participants will get a recommendation toward certification by the U.S. Forest Service.
- Complete an 8-hour online crosscut course and pass the written test prior to July 12th. Link to class below.
- Have up-to-date CPR and First Aid Certification prior to July 12th meeting. This can be done quickly online.
- Attend Classroom review session on July 12th from 5-7 pm.
- Participate in a full day field session on July 13th
- Commit to 4 days of field work clearing trails in the Weminuche and/or South San Juan Wilderness areas.
- Online background information – Please allow 8 hours of computer time to complete this essential step. A written test is required to pass the course and progress to the second and third elements. The course can be taken any time before July 12. The course is at: umt.edu/crosscut-sawyer
- July 12, Friday – 5 to 7 p.m. San Juan Citizens Alliance Office, Smiley Building, 1309 E 3rd Ave, Durango, CO. Classroom session to review the latest developments in situational awareness, and axe and saw care. Bring your documentation of completion of the online Crosscut Sawyer course, questions, first aid and CPR certification (MUST BE UP TO DATE, CAN BE DONE QUICKLY ONLINE), water, leather gloves, and note pad and pen.
- July 13 Saturday – 8 a.m. to 4p.m. Field session. Location to be determined, probably Saul’s Creek near Bayfield. Bring all-leather work boots or hiking boots with a non-skid sole, leather gloves, hardhat, sunglasses, first aid kit, water and lunch in a daypack. Wear long sleeve shirt and long pants. We will focus on bucking logs and down trees, and deal with a variety of situations. Safety is essential. Personal Protective Equipment as listed above is required. Please bring crosscut saws and related equipment (wedges, lubricant, axes, sheaths). If you don’t have them, they can be provided. Please contact Anne Dal Vera to discuss tools you are prepared to bring.
- Field Work Commitment: You will be asked to commit to 4 days of field work clearing trails in the Weminuche and/or South San Juan Wilderness areas.
For more information and to register, please contact Anne Dal Vera
Anne Dal Vera, retired Wilderness Ranger
Bayfield, CO 81122