Support the New Mexico Climate Solutions Act (HB 9)
Sponsored by Representatives Melanie Stansbury and Angelica Rubio, House Speaker Brian Egolf, Senate President Pro Tem Mimi Stewart, and Senators Benny Shendo and Carrie Hamblen
The Climate Solutions Act (HB 9) establishes nation-leading carbon pollution limits to benefit current and future generations while ensuring that all New Mexicans will benefit from the increased jobs provided in a green economy. The bill promotes sustainable, equitable and resilient economic development – resulting in the creation of high-quality jobs for everyday New Mexicans. The bill also ensures that the most impacted communities and historically disadvantaged communities are the priority for pollution reduction and have a seat at the table to envision a more diversified and resilient economy as we move to a net-zero carbon future.
The New Mexico Climate Solutions Act:
- Provides guidance on how to achieve a Just Transition. The Climate Solutions Act sets the foundation for the bold, long-term work New Mexico needs to do to make sure communities across the state have a say in what they need to successfully be part of the clean energy economy. It makes sure no community is left behind during our state’s transition into a stronger and healthier future for all New Mexican families and children.
- Seeks to diversify the state’s economy and strengthen its resilience by adding sustainable jobs and a new tax base that lessens the state’s dependence on revenues from extractive industries.
- Codifies and expands the Governor’s New Mexico Climate Strategy. Building on Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham’s climate Executive Order (2019-003), this bill sets a goal of 50% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from 2005 levels by 2030 and net-zero emissions by 2050. HB 9 also sets a target of 60% reduction by 2030 in methane, carbon dioxide and volatile organic compound emissions from the oil and gas sector from 2005 levels. The bill codifies the Governor’s cabinet level climate leadership council and requires the promulgation of rules by state agencies and implementation of incentives and policies to reduce emissions that prioritize reductions in the state’s most impacted communities.
How Can This Benefit New Mexico?
- Continue as a national leader in climate change by creating a climate reduction framework that builds on the leadership of Governor Lujan Grisham, the success of the Energy Transition Act and ensures the development of a clean energy economy.
- Provide the data, science and tools to plan and implement strategies to address climate change impacts.
- Improve public health by reducing carbon dioxide emissions and improving the resilience of water supplies.
- Grow & stimulate New Mexico’s economy by identifying opportunities for economic diversification, investment, and job creation, especially in disproportionately impacted and historically disadvantaged communities.
- Protect New Mexico’s limited water resources by addressing climate change, which is already leading to drought, reduced snowpack and longer, hotter burning wildfires.
- Provide energy affordability assistance to New Mexicans by investing in energy efficiency programs and building standards.
The bill is supported by these organizations: